Ten-part live concert series filmed at New York’s legendary private social club The Players features top music, theater and cabaret performers.
For almost 130 years the performances at New York’s exclusive private club The Players have been accessible only to a select group of artists and influencers from the performing arts world. Now for the first time, a series of live performances have been filmed at the private social club and are available on performing arts streaming service Cennarium.
The concert series, “Live from Gramercy Park,” features 10 evenings of eclectic entertainment that celebrate the best of New York City’s cultural landscape. The performances were all filmed live at The Players, the historic theater club founded in 1888 by noted Shakespearean actor Edwin Booth. The series is hosted by Emmy award-winning composer, pianist, singer and music director Lance Horne and showcases celebrated music, theater and cabaret stars as well as dynamic rising talent from around the world. “Live from Gramercy Park” is produced by Michael Barra and Christian Campbell.
The 10 shows in the series include:
1. “City of Beasts,” an introduction to the series featuring a sampling from each of the performers that appear.
2. Sxip Shirey, a performer who tells stories with sound and offers the unexpected to change people’s concept of music.
3. Emma and The Hungry Truth and Erin Markey, a brother and sister team that perform songs with primal rhythm, heartbreaking lyrics and epic harmonies coupled with an offering of perverse humor that will keep audiences laughing and a little unsettled.
4. Karine Plantadit, an Alvin Ailey dancer and Broadway performer whose poetry enlightens and entertains in her unique French style.
5. Brendan McLean, an Australian musician with a soulful sound and downtown cabaret humor.
6. Samora Pinderhughes, a jazz virtuoso with his trio consisting of a keyboardist, a trumpet and a tenor.
7. Bridget Barkan, a songstress who effortlessly surfs through jazz, soul and R&B.
8. “Storytellers,” which features the talent of multiple performers including Daphne Rubin Vega, Robin de Jesus and Elizabeth A. Davis, all Tony Award nominees, who discuss and illustrate the art of storytelling each in their own unique way.
9. Molly Pope, a critically acclaimed cabaret artist, actress and singer who is hailed for her unusual voice and sharp wit.
10. Amy G, a revolutionary cabaret comedian, classically trained Vaudeville wonder and one of the sexiest clowns to have ever entertained audiences.
Currently Cennarium offers the first four installments of the concert series with the remaining six to be released during the next couple of months.
“Cennarium is enabling us to bring our truly spectacular and original programming to audiences that would otherwise never see them,” said Barra, who is also president of The Players. “We are providing a sneak peek behind the exclusive doors of The Players and showing audiences great live entertainment from an incredible array of fascinating and unique artists that otherwise are only accessible to club members.”
For more information on how to watch the “Live from Gramercy Park” series, click here, or on any of the linked episode titles above.