The Víctor Ullate Ballet brings to its repertoire a new version of an important, internationally performed classic. Choreographer and artistic director Eduardo Lao has assumed the task of reinventing Coppélia, using his versatile company of 23 dancers to contribute his personal vision. He emphasizes the comical spirit of Coppélia while keeping the original score written by Léo Delibes in 1870.
Lao’s creation takes place in a cybernetic laboratory specialised in artificial intelligence, where Doctor Coppelius is attempting to create a female android that moves and acts like a human. Lao’s staging of Coppélia allows the Víctor Ullate Ballet to use its technical and artistic capacity, by combining various styles and updating a historical dance favourite.
- Theatre Company
- Ballet Víctor Ullate Comunidad de Madrid
- Parental rating
- Parental rating information not available.
- In theaters
- Category / Genre
- Victor Ullate
- Written by
- Charles Nuitter, based on E.T.A. Hoffmann’s Der Sandmann
- Eduardo Lao
- Ballet Víctor Ullate Comunidad de Madrid; Sophie Cassegrain, Coppelia: Yester Mulens, Doctor Coppélius; Cristian Oliveri, Franz; Zhengyja Yu, The spectral Diva; Leyre Castresana, Betty; Albia Tapia, Rosi; Zara Calero, Andreina; Dorian Acosta, D.J.
- Léo Delibes
- Royal Opera of Versailles - France