Martha Graham Dance Company
Described by The Washington Post as “one of the seven wonders of the artistic universe,” this groundbreaking and celebrated company is embracing a new vision that showcases masterpieces by Graham, her peers, and their successors as well as newly commissioned works by contemporary artists.
Program includes a rare staging of Appalachian Spring (1944) set to Aaron Copland’s Pulitzer Prize-winning score. Considered Graham’s great enduring masterwork, Appalachian Spring celebrates its 70th birthday this season. The program also features Lamentation Variations, newly choreographed by three celebrated dance makers: Sonya Tayeh, Kyle Abraham and Larry Keigwin. The works by Tayeh and Abraham are West Coast premiers following their debut at the Joyce Theater in New York. Tayeh is best known to television audiences for her choreography for So You Think You Can Dance.
- Appalachian Spring : Martha Graham
- Lamentation Variations: Martha Graham, Kyle Abraham, Aszure Barton, Michelle Dorrance, Liz Gerring, Larry Keigwin, Lar Lubovitch, Richard Move Bulareyaung Pagarlava, Yvonne Rainer, Sonya Tayeh, and Doug Varone
- Errand into the Maze: Martha Graham
- Echo: Andonis Foniadakis
Appalachian Spring (1944)
Graham’s beloved masterwork and “a testimony to the simple fineness of the human spirit.” Score: Aaron Copland – Set: Isamu Noguchi – Costumes: Graham – Dancers in this clip: Katherine Crockett, Miki Orihara, Tadej Brdnik, and members of the Martha Graham Dance Company
Short works for the company inspired by Graham’s iconic solo and created by some of today’s most note-worthy choreographers. A film of Graham is followed by three variations from among those by Aszure Barton, Larry Keigwin, Lar Lubovitch, Josie Moseley, Richard Move, Bulareyaung Pagarlava, Yvonne Rainer and Doug Varone. Music and Costumes: various – Dancers in this clip: Miki Orihara, Katherine Crockett, and members of the Martha Graham Dance Company
Errand into the Maze (1947)
Loosely derived from the myth of Theseus, who journeys into the labyrinth to confront the Minotaur, this duet sends a woman on the mission. The maze may be her own mind and the confrontation may be with her own fears. Music: Gian Carlo Menotti – Set: Isamu Noguchi – Costumes: Graham – Dancers in this clip: Miki Orihara and Ben Schultz
- Theatre Company
- Martha Graham Dance Company
- Parental rating
- Parental rating information not available.
- 140 minutes
- Original language
- In theaters
- Category / Genre
- Tadej Brdnik, PeiJu Chien-Pott, Natasha Diamond-Walker, Abdiel Jacobsen, Lloyd Knight, Charlotte Landreau, Lloyd Mayor, Ari Mayzick, Lauren Newman, Anne O'Donnell, Ben Schultz, Danielle Stinger, Blakeley White-McGuire, Ying Xin and Konstantina Xintara
- Valley Performing Arts Center - California