Gauthier Dance: POPPEA // POPPEA
Inspired by the final opera of Claudio Monteverdi, L’incoronazione di Poppea, Christian Spuck choreographed POPPEA//POPPEA which was included among the 10 top productions of the season 2009/10 by the British trade magazine Dance Europe and earned Christian Spuck the German Theatre Prize The Faust 2011.
The story of the marriage of the Emperor Nero and Poppea Sabina still brings a chill to audiences today, portraying as it does the cruel lust for power and passion at the court of the Roman ruler. In the end, all succumb to the elemental force of a totally amoral idea of «love», and the boundaries between reality and fiction become blurred. What began as a game becomes deadly serious when the explosive mix of emotions reveals its fateful consequences. Christian Spuck has created a compelling piece of experimental choreography from this remarkable opera plot, producing a ballet which incorporates film and spoken elements.
- Theatre Company
- Gauthier Dance
- Parental rating
- Parental rating information not available.
- 78 minutes
- Original language
- In theaters
- Category / Genre
- Christian Spuck for Gauthier Dance
- Gauthier Dance: Eric Gauthier, Anneleen Dedroog, Miriam Gronwald, Anna Süheyla Harms, Maria Prat Balasch, Rosario Guerra, Florian Lochner, William Moragas, David Stiven Valencia Martinez, Tars Vandebeek
- German Theatre Prize The Faust 2011
- Theaterhaus Stuttgart - Germany