Mariinsky: Sergei Prokofiev: The Gambler
Prokofiev flows in the veins of the Mariinsky Theatre’s musicians, and has moreover done so for a long time; and the fact that, under Gergiev’s baton, the orchestra and the opera company performed all of Sergei Prokofiev’s symphonies, all of his concerti and all of his operas more than once is here of fundamental significance. All the senses and all the emotions are presented here by the orchestra in full on an immense yet refined palette of sounds, with a full understanding of both the text and subtext of the events, in the lively action and with Gergiev’s inherent magic.
- Theatre Company
- The Mariinsky Theatre
- Parental rating
- Parental rating information not available.
- Original language
- In theaters
- Category / Genre
- Valery Gergiev (musical director and conductor)
- Libretto by the composer after the novella of the same name by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
- Sergei Prokofiev
- Valery Gergiev
- Sergei Aleksashkin, Tatiana Pavlovskaya, Vladimir Galuzin, Larisa Dyadkova, Nikolai Gassiev, Alexander Gergalov, Nadezhda Serdyuk, Andrei Popov, Oleg Sychev, Andrei Spekhov
- ICMA Winner 2014, DVD Release (Mariinsky Label)
- The Mariinsky Theatre - St. Petersburg - Russia
You Might Also Like
Mariinsky: Giuseppe Verdi: Attila
Based on Friedrich Werner’s "Attila, King of the Huns" this powerful and atmospheric opera puts the spotlight on celebrated Russian bass Ildar Abdrazakov in the title role. Set in the mid-5th century Attila focuses on the collapse of the Roman Empire and is a dramatic reflection on freedom, courage and hope.
Mariinsky: George Balanchine: Jewels
The Mariinsky Ballet is one of the world’s greatest ballet company with an astonishing heritage. Before emigrating to the West, George Balanchine studied in St Petersburg and was a member of the Mariinsky.
Mariinsky: Piotr Tchaikovsky: The Nutcracker
The Nutcracker, Tchaikovsky‘s eternal classic, in the choreography by Vasily Vainonen, is a colorful and sensuous dance production: dance in the highest perfection and mastery of modern technology.